Did you know that we spend one third of our lives staying asleep? Sleep is vital to our health and well-being. There are many studies suggested that severe deprivation of sleep can cause a series of health conditions and can even be fatal. A study reported by CIA investigator at Guantanamo Bay suggested that cortisol, the stress hormone, increases leading to the rise of blood pressure within the first 24 hours of sleep deprivation. In a day or 2 later, sleep deprivation will mess up glucose metabolism and the body immunity will be suppressed. These physiological changes can be reversed easily by simply sleep.
According to Sleep Foundation in America, an adult are recommended to have 7 to 9 hours of sleep while kids and teens need 10 to 11 hours and 8.5 to 9.25 hours respectively. Naturally human body releases melatonin from the pineal gland located in the midline of the brain when the sun goes down leading to relaxation and sleepiness. When sun rises in the morning, melatonin production will stop while cortisol, an anti stress hormone, releases from the adrenal gland located on top of the kidneys, so that we stay awake and alert. Restoration function of sleep includes restoring energy, removing waste and repairing cells. Most of human growth hormone (HGH) is released from the pituitary gland of the brain during first phase of sleep. That explains the reason young children during their growing age require more sleep than adult.
In the nutshell, human body requires healthy level of melatonin from pineal gland in order to have restful sleep and leading to the production of HGH in the pituitary gland to repair, regenerate and heal the body. However, modern lifestyle today has disrupted the natural pattern of sleep. The use of artificial light from light bulbs and exposure to blue-green lights from electrical device such as hand phone, laptops, computer and tablets at night disrupts melatonin production leading to less sleepiness. In productivity-driven modern society, sleep is perceived as laziness and non-productivity. Therefore, regular consumption of caffeine is used to mask the symptoms of sleep deprivation. Symptoms of sleep deprivation are often neglected and little that we know sleep deprivation is associate with shorter life-span, type 2 diabetes, heart diseases and even cancer.
Here are some tips to get our beauty sleep in order to ensure the production of HGH so that our bodies will heal itself by cellular repair, regeneration and renewal.
- Avoid stimulants : Stay away from caffeine after lunch will ensure a better sleep at night. Moderate alcohol consumption and avoid using alcohol as a sleep aid.
- Avoid artificial light before sleep : Keep the room dark during sleep. Avoid the use of laptop, computer, handphone etc that emit blue-green-lights before bed.
- Relaxation : Practice deep breathing by inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth before bed will stimulate parasystematic nervous system to induce relaxation. Drink chamomile tea, lavender tea will induce tranquility and relaxation.
- Essential oils : Lavender oil relaxes and calming the body. Frankincense oil promotes better sleep as well as body’s natural healing responds. Cedarwood oil promotes healthy function of pineal gland that produce melatonin.
- Tryptophan-rich foods : Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that helps make melatonin. Tryptophan-rich foods such as walnuts, almonds, lentil, tofu, avocado, banana, cocoa, oatmeal, broccoli, cherry, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, salmon, turkey are best for dinner along with small amount of carbohydrate to boost tryptophan level in the brain and to be converted to melatonin later.
Sufficient sleep is just as important for good health as exercise and nutrition.
- 避免刺激物 ：午饭后避免摄取咖啡因以便改善晚间睡眠。适量饮酒和避免以酒精作为睡眠的辅助品。
- 睡前避免人造光线 ：睡觉时保持房间黑暗无光。避免睡前使用释放蓝绿光线的电脑笔记本，电脑，手机等
- 放松 ：用鼻子深吸气，用口深呼气的深呼吸可以刺激副交叉神经系统促进放松状态。睡前饮用甘菊花茶和薰衣草茶可以促进松弛和定神状态。
- 香精油 ：薰衣草精油促进放松和镇定状态。乳香精油改善睡眠质素和促进身体天然修复反应。柏木精油促进松果腺健康以便分泌褪黑激素。
- 色氨酸丰富的食物 ：色氨酸是必需氨基酸。它可以转化为褪黑激素。富有色氨酸的食物包括坚果，杏仁，扁豆，豆腐，牛油果，香蕉，可可，燕麦粥，芥兰花，樱桃，水煮蛋，乳酪，三文鱼，火鸡肉等是最佳晚餐的选择。加上少许的碳水化合物更加提升脑部色氨酸的水平以便转化为褪黑激素。
充足的睡眠对身体的健康和运动及营养相对重要❤️ Follow me 关注我 ❤️